Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Branwen design

So I've been thinking about designs for single people and couples and this is what I came up with.


I figured that some people may not appreciate the more sparse space that some of the other tiny houses on wheels have to offer that I have seen, so I gave my design a little more "luxury".

Loft
This house I would either use a flat roof or a roof that has one slant on it to give height for the shelves, closet, and storage bins. As with my other design I love to put in shelves in the bedroom because it is great to just reach up and choose a book to read while lying in bed, or to watch a little TV snuggled up with someone. One thing I have thought about is that with the new flat screen TV's that it may be possible to mount one of those to the slanted portion of your roof so you can lay in bed an look up to watch TV, but I would consult a professional first before trying it.

Kitchen
One thing that really got me thinking about why people would not want to live in a tiny house on wheels is the kitchens were less than desirable. To get an idea what kind of space this kitchen has I have drawn up a side view of a similar kitchen on the "Carwyn". The fridge is a good size and there is a three burner stove with oven and a medium size sink with space to put a dish drainer to the side and if you put covers on the sink and stove then you have ample space for food preparation. Another feature I added was an extended small counter top along the one wall that is perfect as a table with some bar stools for eating at. If someone wanted a nice view while eating a large window right in front of the table would be great for this, but I guess it would depend on where you were to put your house.

Bathroom/Laundry
Well the necessary evil of a house is the bathroom and like I have said before I really like the spaces people have designed where you have to walk through the shower to get to the toilet. A easy remedy to make sure nothing gets wet is to buy a shower curtain for a tub and use it as a wrap around from the entry to past the toilet. The other design feature is the small washing machine and a linen closet that make life so much easier. I used the dimensions of my portable washing machine (the ones that roll and hook up to the kitchen sink) because it can be made stationary with the right hook ups and it does well with washing cloths twice a day when need be. One thing I have been thinking about in the washing machine department is finding a small front loadable washing machine to put into one of these houses because it saves some space above it since the door does not open on the top, so more space for linens or laundry soap.

Living Room
So most people consider the living room a place to relax, so I could not skip this important space when designing a comfortable "luxury" tiny house on wheels. You have an entertainment center for a TV and stereo for those that could never do without and a desk if you like to sit down and work on things, or just need a space to put your laptop. The couch would be a built in with removable cushions to access the storage underneath and with shelf space behind it favorite movies and CD's can be stored. One thing I did not label is that between the desk and ladder to the loft there is space where small fold up tables can be stored. These things are great if you want to eat dinner and watch a movie, or need a little extra table space while working on a hobby or project.

*Disclaimer, just so everyone knows I am not a professional in any way, so if you do not know how to build things I would suggest getting someone that knows how.

No comments:

Post a Comment